Strapline: Welcoming the new year is a busy affair. So here’s some simple recipes that can serve handy when you are running short of time. Make it the night before or even in the morning, it barely takes time and much effort.
Chef Sathish Reddy, from Courtyard By Marriott, Chakan
Chicken, leek and mash pot pies
Potatoes, peeled, chopped 500g
Tub light cooking cream 300ml
Margarine spread 80g
Olive oil 1 tablespoon
Chicken breast fillets cut into 2cm pieces 700g
Leeks, trimmed, cut into 2cm-thick slices 2 medium
Plain flour 2 tablespoons
Olive oil cooking spray
Immerse potatoes in a large saucepan containing cold water. And then boil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the water. Season it with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of cream and 1 tablespoon spread. Mash until smooth.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 5 minutes or until brown and just cooked through. Transfer to a bowl.
Reduce heat to low. Add remaining spread to pan. Add leek. Cook, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened. Add flour. Stir for one minute. Gradually add remaining cream as you stir constantly about for 3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Return chicken to pan and combine well.
Spoon chicken mixture among four 2-cup-capacity ovenproof dishes. Dollop with mash. Spray with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place dishes on a large baking tray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until potato is golden and mixture is bubbling around the edges. Serve.
Recipe Type: Christmas pudding
Yields: 2 plum puddings
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 4 hr.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup milk*
2 eggs beaten
2/3 cup molasses
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
1 1/2 cups raisins, finely chopped
1 cup dates, chopped
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
3 tablespoons candied orange or lemon citron, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped apples
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Boiling Water Nutmeg Sauce
1/2 cup fruit juice and 1/2 cup brandy may be substituted for the milk if desired.
Grease two 2-pound coffee cans, two 2-quart pudding molds, or two 2-quart oven-proof deep dishes.
In a large bowl combine sugar, butter, milk, eggs, molasses, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour; add raisins, dates, nuts, candied orange or lemon citron, apples, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
Fill each greased pan 1/2 full of batter. Cover tops of pans with lids or 2 layers of aluminum foil. In a large pot or roaster, place molds on trivets or a rack and add boiling water 2/3.Bring rapidly to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot or roaster, and boil gently 4 to 4 1/2 hours (add more boiling water as necessary) or until fork comes out clean when put into the centre of pudding.
Store in refrigerator, cover until time to serve.
NOTE: These also freeze well. To serve, steam for 1 hour before serving to heat thoroughly. Unmold and serve hot with nutmeg sauce.
Courtyard By Marriott, Pune City Centre gives us some fantastic gourmet recipes below.
Honey Baked Leg Ham
Pork Leg – 5kg
Whole Cloves -100gms
Black peppercorns – 100gms
Brown sugar – 500gms
Mustard paste – 150gms
Honey – 150ml
Butter – 150gms
- Pre heat the oven to 170*C
- Using a sharp knife score the pork leg in diamond pattern about ½ inch deep cutting through the fat
- Once scored place the whole cloves in the centre of the diamond pattern, alternate it with black peppercorns to form pattern on the top and around the ham.
- Apply the mustard paste evenly spreading it entirely over the ham
- Spread the brown sugar over the mustard ensure its evenly spread
- Place the leg into a baking tray and bake it in the pre heated oven. Keep basting regularly to ensure that the meat does not lose its moisture
- If the crust starts to darken fast, use a silver foil to cover the tray
- Check the meat once tender remove it from the oven, brush it with the pan juices and leave it to rest for 10minutes.
- Hold the leg upright and cut through the fat and meat and serve hot.
And, serve these sumptuous recipes with this sizzling cocktail, which makes for a perfect accompaniment.
Cocktail: Star Anise Swizzle
Cranberry vodka 60ml
Cranberry juice 150ml
Mango juice 120ml
Star anise 3 nos.
Lime juice 10ml
- Muddle two star anise in the shaker
- Put vodka, the mango and cranberry juices in the shaker along with lime juice
- Add a good amount of ice
- Shake it well in the shaker and strain into a pre-chilled martini glass
- Garnish with star anise floating at the centre of the drink